• 1 Mahoe Drive, Kingston 11 Jamaica, West Indies

Thursday, June 12, 2008


Dear Family and Friends,

I am so thankful to have been afforded the opportunity to serve God’s children here in Jamaica. There have been numerous challenges and moments of great grace. Through being here I have come to love the mentally disabled population in a way that I never would have been able to experience had I been closed to the idea of Jamaica. Up until this time I was always a little cautious around them as I had some scary experiences when I was little with some mentally disabled people. Working with the residence within Mustard Seed I feel as if my heart has grown so much bigger and I truly love them. Before I came I meditated on the words of Our Lord to St. Francis Assisi in working with the lepers.

"Francis, if thou desirest to know My will, thou must despise and hate all that thou hast loved and wished for till now. Let not this new path alarm thee, for, if the things which now please thee must become bitter and distasteful, those which now displease thee, will become sweet and agreeable."

It is with much joy that I can say this has been the case with me. This specific population within our world has become most sweet and agreeable. I never would have been able to have the strength to do the work I have been doing without all of your prayers. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I also have been able to learn a lot about living in a third world country and how different people can be around the globe! I have been faced with being stereotyped on a daily basis which has widened my perspective and giving me insight into the many who immigrate to the United States.

In being here I have been able to more fully realize my own mission I feel called to by the Lord. As surprising as it may be to many people back at home I am so fulfilled and at peace with the idea of working with the disabled for the rest of my life. I have been discerning the Lord’s will for me and what would be most pleasing to him, desiring always to say Fiat, whatever that will may be. As I worked with the residents here I began to search online for an occupation that I could have while working with the disabled. I found Occupational Therapy. After researching I realized that this would be ideal for my personality and future work with the disabled. Days after I came to this decision Angela Langer, who is an OT, came back to Mustard Seed. I was able to spend time talking to her about her experiences in Occupational Therapy and see the wonderful work she has done here within Mustard Seed. I found a program that offers a Masters in Occupational Therapy which starts in the spring semester of 2009. There is one class that I would have to take as a prereq in the fall however. I have prayed about this decision and have been able to talk to my spiritual director over the phone. I am planning on pursuing a degree in Occupational Therapy so I can continue the mission the Lord has set me on. I am so thankful that he has opened up so many doors during this short time and giving me a sense of fulfillment.

I'm coming home tomorrow to begin to acclimate back into my own country and prepare for the upcoming school year! I hope you all have enjoyed my blog, after I get back I still might send out some pictures and stories, we'll see what happens. Once again, thank you all for your prayers and I can't wait to see everyone!!

May the Peace of Christ be with you,

Angela Santoro

3 comments:

Nicole Bradica said...

Definitely prayers for your journey, Angela!! May the Lord richly bless you as you answer His call to serve His people.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hold you in my arms!

mom

Anonymous said...

Angela,

Its great to see how the Lord has used your generosity to open further doors in following. St.Francis would be proud of you and I certainly am. Fr. J